Volunteer English Teacher
DescriptionWe are looking for a team of smart, dedicated volunteers to teach free English classes to women and children in communities in the Tlacolula Valley. We hold classes in the town twice a week, and are looking for volunteers who can commit to two mornings or afternoons per week for a minimum of one month. Previous teaching experience is helpful, but is not required. We will provide teachers with training and support, and have had many successful teachers with no previous experience.
Commitment to development work and education, experience leading groups, and flexibility to work in a young, growing non-profit organization are essential.
- Teaching two days/week, either 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, or Monday and Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Minimum 1-month commitment required, 2+ months preferred.
- College graduate or equal level of experience
- Excellent people skills: outgoing, friendly, warm, professional, ability and passion for building relationships with individuals from different backgrounds
- Good judgment, strong initiative, and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to be organized yet flexible, as conditions of transportation, supplies and volunteer services change weekly
- Demonstrated commitment to social change
- Experience living abroad
- Basic Spanish
Preferred Additional Qualifications
CompensationThis is an unpaid volunteer position, and volunteers are responsible for their own travel and living costs. We can help volunteers find housing in an affordable posada, apartment or with a host family. We can also offer a discount on Spanish classes at the Instituto Cultural Oaxaca, the largest Spanish school in Oaxaca.
Application ProcessSend your resume and cover letter to our English Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your availabilty in the cover letter.
Back to list of volunteer opportunities