What We Do
Fundación En Vía combines tourism, education and micro-finance to fight poverty in Oaxaca, Mexico. By providing interest-free micro-loans to help women start or expand their small businesses, we facilitate social change, and generate real impacts and authentic cultural experiences.
We lead weekly tours into Oaxacan communities to meet our borrowers, learn about their loans and project plans, and offer support for their success. Our tours provide a special glimpse of life in Oaxaca; you will learn about different artisanal trades, traditional foods, and local economies, and support the local community.
We use 100% of our tour fees to provide interest-free micro-loans to our borrowers, and once the loans are paid back, to support our education programs and administrative costs.
Through our tours travelers get a special glimpse of life in Oaxaca, a unique opportunity to truly connect with locals, and a first-hand look at the positive impact their tour fee will have on a community.
Join us on a tour and, together, we can learn about the power of microfinance and education for development.
We Work To:
- Channel capital from tourism into local communities by using tour fees to provide interest-free loans, which support the business ideas and goals of local women entrepreneurs.
- Connect travelers to Oaxacan women and their families to facilitate a deeper understanding and connection of local cultures and traditions through our tours.
- Remove barriers that prohibit financial inclusion by providing access to affordable loan options.
- Provide integrated educational programs that foster a healthy community, supporting economic and social growth.
- Encourage women to utilize their skills and ideas to achieve success.
What does Fundación En Vía mean?
The En Vía name has dual meaning: it stands for Emprendedoras y Viajeros, Intercambiando y Aprendiendo (businesswomen and travelers, exchanging culture and learning). En Vía can also be translated to mean "on the path."
At En Vía, we’re on the path to fighting poverty, strengthening community and creating social change through active outreach and programs. Our interest-free micro-loans provide more than just money; in addition to our educational programs, they empower women to change their lives, their families and ultimately their futures.